Nodwin Gaming acquires German esports firm Freaks 4U Gaming in ₹271 crore deal

Published on:

Nodwin Gaming, has announced the acquisition of an 86.49% stake in Germany-based esports firm Freaks 4U Gaming. This share swap deal, valued at ₹271 crore (€30.3 million), secures Nodwin’s complete ownership of Freaks 4U Gaming.

As reported by Money Control, the acquisition aims to enhance Nodwin Gaming’s capabilities in PC gaming and game publishing support services while providing access to developed markets, thereby contributing to future revenues. The deal is structured to see Nodwin’s Singapore subsidiary initially increase its stake in Freaks 4U Gaming to 57%, with the remaining 43% to be acquired from the firm’s founders, Michael Haenisch, Matthias Remmert, and Jens Enders, at a later date.

The announcement positively impacted Nazara Technologies‘ stock price, which rose by 2.51% to ₹833.7 on the NSE at 11:23 AM.

Nodwin Gaming had previously acquired a 13.51% stake in Freaks 4U Gaming in January for €8 million (approximately ₹75 crore), along with securing the right to majority control. Existing investors of Freaks 4U Gaming will now become shareholders of Nodwin’s Singapore subsidiary, Nodwin Gaming International Pte. Ltd.

“This acquisition is an important step in our global growth strategy. By integrating Freaks 4U Gaming’s expertise and resources, we are positioned to deliver unparalleled services and expand our global footprint in the gaming and esports industries,” said Akshat Rathee, co-founder of Nodwin Gaming, in a statement.

Founded in 2011 and headquartered in Berlin, Freaks 4U Gaming offers esports and gaming services, including strategic brand consultancy, social media management, event logistics, and broadcast production. The firm employs over 190 people and reported revenues of ₹223 crore (€26.9 million) in 2023.

Since the initial investment in January, Nodwin Gaming and Freaks 4U Gaming have collaborated on projects such as the PUBG Mobile Global Open and the Esports World Cup (EWC), exploring business opportunities and integrating their operations.

Nodwin Gaming, founded by Rathee and Gautam Singh Virk, operates various IPs across esports, gaming, music, comedy, and live events, appealing to a diverse audience of gaming enthusiasts. The company has expanded its global presence through strategic acquisitions and investments. In May 2023, Nodwin raised $28 million from investors including Sony Group Corporation, Innopark, and existing backers such as Nazara, Krafton, and JetSynthesys, valuing the firm at $349 million.

Recent acquisitions include Comic Con India, Ninja Global FZCO, and game marketing agency Publishme. Nodwin has also invested in live events firm Branded, OML Entertainment, digital media firm Rusk Media, and retailer Planet Superheroes.