spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

MP-born to have 80% reservation in India’s first esports academy: Sports Minister Yashodhara Raje Scindia

Published on:

In the latest development to India’s first-ever esports academy in Madhya Pradesh, state’s Sports Minister Yashodhara Raje Scindia has revealed that 80% of the seats will be reserved for state-born while the rest 20% is open from outside Madhya Pradesh.

The announcement of opening the academy was done a few days ago with the announcement for MP Open State Junior Esports Championship. The event will be a 10-day esports tournament for players between the age of 12 and 17.

As per The Times of India, Scindia said, “Esports has been included as one of the medal events in the upcoming Asian Games. The launch of the esports academy is a significant step towards long-term benefits for gamers. Selected players will receive free coaching and other support at the academy for one year.

“In total, 80% of the seats will be reserved for players from the state, while 20% will be allocated to players from outside Madhya Pradesh.”

Scindia further informed that all the facilities at the existing academies will also be provided to the esports department.

“The department envisioned world-class sports academies and established them in 2007 to identify grassroots sporting talent and provide state-of-the-art training facilities. The esports academy will be another significant addition,” she concluded.

Esports announced as a medal event in Asian Games

The announcement for esports academy comes soon after esports was announced as a medal event for the 2026 Asian Games that will be held in Japan after its debut in 2022 Asian games.

The esports federation of India (ESFI) has called it a very big achievement and a great step towards popularizing esports. Currently, 15 professional players from India will be taking part in the upcoming Asian Games. Indian League of Legends team has already secured top position in seeding round for the coveted event, as they whitewashed opponents with a 3-0 margin.

Related

1 Comment

Comments are closed.